Friday, January 11, 2008

Finding a job. Bleh.

Aimee's post about her difficulties landing her dream job rings very true with me as I'm now searching for a job. I'm in the last stages of finishing my thesis (due Feb 1st--anyone want to go out and celebrate with me that Friday night?) and have been looking and applying for jobs since December. So far no luck. Turns out no one really thinks busting your butt getting an MPH really counts for much. Instead all the job descriptions keep calling for years more work experience than I have. Damn. :-(

Do any of you have any suggestions for tactics to take? Places to look for jobs? You all have been such a great support network during school, it makes sense that we can support eachother now as we all struggle in the real world...

Hope everyone's doing well!

-Gwen

1 comment:

DeAnn said...

Hello lovely ladies! I was just mustering courage to write a couple cover letters and do some online searching for the Real World Job I need to get once back in the country (I´m in South America until getting back to California Jan 22nd, hopefully back in Seattle by Feb 1st in order to CELEBRATE with you Gwen!). I think all of us looking to apply our MPH degrees will be facing some ups and downs and reality checks about what our degree really means - lets definitely be a support system again even from different parts of the country and world!

As an unemployed person and having faced a couple sad rejections before leaving to travel (long, boring stories that ultimately came down to me being the second runner up for jobs but losing for lack of EXPERIENCE, which Gwen is also discovering), I do not have much constructive advice to add. Besides the obvious - networking. Once I finally got in touch with people and said I was looking for a job and to pass on my resume, I had some options (though decided to flee the country instead). I am also considering doing some contract work with my old practicum supervisor when I get back, but part of me just wants some stability and health insurance y´know. I´d love to get us together to chat sometime ... check your emails soon (and let us know any updated contact info via the blog or email). Hugs, DeAnn